Don’t Lose Your Cool this Summer
Families in our service area have more than their fair share of sweltering summer days. So while the Department of Energy reports that the average family spends 10% of their energy expenses on home cooling, a hot and humid Mid-Atlantic summer can make this percentage higher, especially if your air conditioning system needs to work overtime during blistering heat waves.
Here are five ideas from our service team that can help you beat the heat:
- Schedule an A/C tune-up. The last thing you want is a mid-summer breakdown! If you haven’t done so already, please contact us to schedule your air conditioning tune-up. We’ll inspect, clean and adjust your system, make sure it has adequate refrigerant, check the filter and make sure it’s ready to take on the summer heat—even those dog days of August. The bonus: A properly tuned system can lower your annual cooling bill as much as 10%!
- Check your A/C filter. When we service your system, we always check the air filter. You should check the filter about once a month. (A dirty filter restricts air flow and lowers system efficiency; it can even cause your system to overheat and shut down).Depending on the system you have, you need to either replace or wash your filter. (Follow manufacturer’s instructions). Make sure the power to the system is off before removing the filter.
- Create a wind chill. You can raise your thermostat setting four degrees when you run a ceiling fan. You’ll still feel cool because ceiling fans create a “wind chill” effect. Your electric bills will be lower because a ceiling fan uses much less energy than your cooling system.
- Put A/C exactly where you need it. A mini-split ductless air conditioning system lets you create your own zone of comfort, allowing you to cool individual rooms or even your entire home. Ductless cooling units are quiet and energy efficient and blend with any décor.
- Make this the year to replace your old A/C system. Not only will your new system save you hundreds of dollars on electric bills, it will do a better job of keeping your home cool and comfortable. Need another reason? Through June 30, we can help you take advantage of as much as $2,500 in rebates through Carrier and your utility company. Contact us today for more details and a FREE estimate.