Cooler Weather Is Coming – Be Prepared with These Seven Suggestions from Carroll!
You wouldn’t know it if you looked at the forecast this week, but believe it or not fall is just around the corner – which means that it’s just a matter of time before cool days and nights start to arrive here in Maryland.
The good news is you’ve got a few weeks to prepare so you can make things easier for yourself and your heating system in the months ahead. Here are seven items to consider adding to your September to-do list:
- Rearrange your furniture – Let’s face it – you’re not paying to keep the back of your sofa warm. Free up vents, baseboards, and radiators from curtains, furniture, and other obstacles.
- Heat where you live – If you are set up for zone heating, take advantage of it by minimizing heat “spent” in infrequently used rooms. Consider supplementing your central heating system with high efficiency propane space heating to target rooms that are especially difficult to keep warm.
- Weatherize – Before the cool weather sets in, draft-proof your doors, windows, and other air leak-prone areas. Simple, inexpensive measures like installing door sweeps and caulking exterior windows will go a long way toward cutting down drafts (and bills).
- Install window treatments – Take advantage of the greenhouse effect by installing window treatments that expose windowed rooms to sun during the day and provide adequate insulation at night.
- Evaluate your insulation – Most homes (especially older ones) are under-insulated – a costly mistake, considering you can lose as much as 20 percent of the air you pay to heat (and cool) through your external walls and attic roof. If you do little else, insulate your attic ceiling to proper R-values, and be sure to address floors that border unconditioned spaces like your basement or crawlspace.
- Sign up for Automatic Delivery – Why manage your propane and heating oil deliveries when we will do it for free? When you sign up for FREE automatic delivery from Carroll, we will estimate a delivery time based on your past use and the current weather, delivering propane when your tank is about one-quarter full. You’ll never have to remember to call us, and you’ll never have to watch your propane gas gauge again.
- Consider sensible heating system upgrades – From furnaces, boilers, and heat pumps to water heaters, space heaters, hearths and more, today’s heating equipment can do it all –warming your home quickly and efficiently so you can enjoy every room in any weather.
Cooler weather is coming – be ready! Contact our experts today to discover the best ways to make your Maryland home more comfortable and more efficient this fall and winter.